Lycian Way Route Updates
Update on fake waymarks
There are three places on the route where you could encounter fake waymarks.
First, between Kaş and Boğazcık, designed to direct you to a pension in the village.
Second, between Aperlae and Üçağız, where the marks sometimes direct you to Ramazan’s boathouse or to his neighbour’s cafe. Head for the inland/northeast side of the flat land and pick up the real marks close to the sea.
Third, in Beycik. Here two competing cafes regularly re-mark the route to bring customers to their door. Check the book for directions, especially when walking from the se towards Beycik, or you could find yourself toiling up a long stretch of tarmac.
Please ignore this way marking. Also please note that apparently Ali has been trying to entice some trekkers into his accommodation. There is an alternative pension, the Apollonia Lodge, on the hill on the road to Kaş.
Camping on Tahtalı slopes occupied
Above Yukarı Beyciik, on the slopes of Tahtalı, Emre has set up a stand selling drinks and snacks (at high prices). Apparently he is not allowing anyone to camp nearby.
There isn’t a better campsite higher up, and no water either, so better to camp BEFORE the yayla until this is sorted out.
- In Demre, there is no longer a dolmuş from the beach at Kale to the city. This may be just a “late in the season” thing, but three people said that the dolmuş did not run earlier in the season either. Enquire at Andriake Camping.
New book and all updates
The current edition of the book (June 2014-15) is up to date except for the section around Demre, where we are currently working.
For the additional 2 days at the end of the route (Hisarçandır – Geyikbayırı) see
The major changes to the route are as follows:
– Small change in route above Kabak to avoid road
– Changes before Gey/Yediburun to take the route off the road
– Short change after Kalkan to take the route straight up the hillside from the pedestrian bridge over the main road
– Short change between Bezirgan and Sarıbelen to avoid a rubbish tip
– Change after Gökçeören to avoid part of the road.
– tree cutting on the track around the head of the Dereköy valley between Eren T. and Phellos has destroyed waymarks and made the route difficult to follow.
– Major change before Kale/Andriake. See blog for this area.
– Minor change at the top of the Gavur Yolu to pass the ruins of Asarbelen Tepe before going to Belen.
– Minor change on the descent from Belos to Finike to take the route back onto the Roman road just after crossing the river-bed. (Route had to be diverted because of tree cutting).
– Minor changes to avoid part of the road from Karaöz to the lighthouse.
– Major change between Çıralı (Maden beach) and Tekirova. The route now runs inland from Maden beach on an old trail leading to the inland side of Tekirova. It meets the old trail on the bridge in Tekirova.
– Minor change cutting off a corner on the climb from Gedelme to Meşe Çukuru.
– Extension of the route for 2 days from Hisarçandır. From the signpost at Hisarçandır, walk on the main road towards Antalya then after 200m, just before the bend/stream, turn L on wide dirt road to a spring. The waymarks start from here.
There are buses from Antalya intercity bus station to Geyikbayırı 3 times per day.
521A / at 6am, 12.30 pm, 17.30 pm; returning roughly one hour later.
Route: Otogar Aktarma Merkezi (intercity bus station),
Hürriyet Cd. (Gülveren bus station) – Bahtılı -Akdamlar-Geyikbayırı-Çağlarca and return.
501 goes every half-hour to Akdamlar, from where you may be able to get a lift.
Fire damage at Çıralı/Adrasan
The route has been damaged in the following places:
– Lighthouse to Adrasan. The last 2 km approaching Adrasan was burned in June 2014. The area has been clear-cut and is beginning to regenerate. The route is usable and has been re-marked.
– Adrasan to Çıralı. A huge storm topped many trees above Olympos on this section. We have cut a way through but the route is still messy and difficult to use for about 200m. We can’t use chain-saws required to clear it properly, so it will remain a mess for some time. The west slope burned in a fire and tree cutters have bulldozed a track through the route. The route is now re-waymarked and you should not get lost. On the pass just S of the shepherd hut is a tent where you can get tea, cold drinks and snacks in season.
Elmayanı to Hisarçandır (Section 27)
The dirt road from Elmayanı to Hisarçandır will shortly be surfaced. At the moment it is only partly way marked; we are looking for alternative routes and will soon make some changes in this area.
There is now an alternative route from just before Elmayanı (turn right at the signpost) marked in red-yellow, which takes you to the main road much closer to Antalya, at Kemer Mahallesi. It thus avoids Hisarçandır and crosses Üçsoğut Yaylası, where there is water and a campsite. This route takes about 7 hrs, so is longer than walking down the road.